The European Union can best be illustrated in one simple way, when its aims cannot be achieved through democratic ends, then bureaucratic ones will suffice. I say this because the very document that gives the European Union legitimacy. as a pseudo-supranational entity. was defeated during the ratification process by a few nations. After the defeat of the constitution, the bureaucratic elites of the EU simply usurped the democratic process by attaching the amendments of the constitution into Lisbon Treaty, the legal basis for the EU as it exists now.
The Lisbon Treaty was never put to a popular vote, instead it was voted on by each of the national parliaments of each respective nation. And ordinarily I wouldn't object to this. The US constitution was signed an agreed to by each states duly elected representatives, however, this isn't a cross comparison. The fact is that the EU and national elites, not liking the results of the Constitutional ratification process, where the constitution could not be ratified unless it passed through popular vote from each member state; decided to ignore the results, and their own rules, and pass it via a different means. They changed the rules, like the dammed brat who always said he had a bullet proof magic cloak whenever he started losing laser tag. That is what particularly incenses me.
Is it any surprise then, that an entity formed by politicos with such disdain for their own rules crafts wordy 2,500 word regulation on minutiae such as hazelnuts? Or that MEPs are ejected simply for speech that might make someone uncomfortable, despite the fact that the man targeted for that speech made the very same allusion (about 2:50 into the video) to a euro skeptic member of parliament. The only difference between the two examples is theatrics, not content. Daniel Hannan, a member of the European Parliament, often blogs about the double standards that pervades within the European Union. That used its might to essentially force Greece to remove its prime minister.
For the sake of a possibility of a United Europe, that they hoped would be a counterweight to United States on the global stage, the European elites were willing to sub verse their own established rules. And now are willing to force financial and economic ruin on its lesser members to avoid possible disintegration.
- Cogitans Iuvenis
- Real name is Kevin Daniels. I have long studied history and have an interest in geopolitics, economics, finance and politics. A few years ago discovered libertarianism. I am a constitutionalist libertarian with a conservative worldview. Word of warning. If you can't handle opinions that aren't rooted in the pc-progressive ideology that is permeated by our educational instutions and popular media then this blog is not for you.
- The Political Spectrum
- No cavalry for economic economy
- Free Video: "France's Geographic Challenge"
- Unf$%ing Real
- The new hot point in the world
- In a nutshell..
- Immigration. National Culture Matters.
- Pray that you never have to have a trial by jury.
- A little funny this morning
- Underpaid and underemployed.
- Broken centerfuge
- The most important law Western Civilization hadn't...
- Why do we even have a UN?
- Forward: Who fears the Euro crisis
- Health Police
- The SS Europa
- Which President Makes it Rain the most?
- Putin in Hot Water
- 40% drop in American wealth
- Dinosaurs fear change
- Is Greece really (Western) European?
- Can the US not win insurgency wars?
- A master degree for $ 100?!
- Bad news in China town
- News: Increasing Militancy in Benghazi
- News: Cutting the Rates
- The "Surplus" was a lie.
- The WAAAAMBULANCE over the results of the election...
- News: Floating start ups
- Follow up on Blowback: Stratfor article on Post-Ga...
- News: Blowback
- The Butcher of Cabal
- Reading articles
- Ireland voluntarily commits national and economic ...
- ▼ June (34)