Monday, June 11, 2012

Is Greece really (Western) European?

A good article by Robert Kaplan about Greece and its cultural place in Europe.  While many of the core tenants of western civilization were thought up and expressed in ancient Greece that was many thousands of years ago.  Greece today is not the Greece that once was in terms of drive, place in the world, or cultural mindset.  Just because a nation or group of people were one way in the past does not necessarily mean they will remain the same in the future. 

It's something I've wanted to write about in my blog because I feel that the west is changing. Europe and the United States, or even the anglosphere, or increasingly going in different directions culturally.  Just look at the differences between the US and Europe when it comes to religion, patriotism, and outlook on the world. Some say Western Civilization is dying, and while that may be the case, it is also changing.  I will expand on this later when I have time, but provided that progressives doesn't gut America, then western ideals can still live on.  Theoretically Europe (Western Europe specifically) could be saved, there are still many hardworking and driving Europeans with a sense of history and cultural pride; but I don't know.  I don't live in Europe, and everything that I have seen, granted my perception is heavily influenced by my American cultural mindset, says that Europe is dying a slow death.  More on that this idea later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disagreements and countervailing views are welcome, however, comments will be deleted if:

-They have emoticons.
-If it is obvious that you have not read the post.
-Obvious Spam, and it takes me about a quarter second to determine if it is spam since you all write your comments the same way.

About Me

My Photo
Seattle resident whose real name is Kevin Daniels. This blog covers the following topics, libertarian philosophy, realpolitik, western culture, history and the pursuit of truth from the perspective of a libertarian traditionalist.